Strava

Monday 11 March 2013

Men in tights: The embarrassment of male running tights

Say hello in the comments or tweet me: @scott_leach

Camp!? Camp!?  Moi?

I lived in Brisbane, Australia, for a year during 2002-2003 where the average temperature in the winter is 18C and it turned me in to a total wimp. I grew up in Yorkshire, a generally cold and drizzly place, and didn't take too much notice of the weather. When I was younger if you'd told me tomorrow would be 10 degrees C, I couldn't have told you if I was going to need sun block or a duffle coat. But 9 measly months out there and I became a little girl when it came to the cold. Of course, 5 years with an Australian girl who was obsessed with the weather, complaining 20 degrees was too cold and 28 degrees was too hot, might have something to do with it.

I distinctly remember as a young man of maybe 18, going out running on Christmas day with the ground covered in re-frozen slush in old-skool shell bottoms, a cotton t-shirt and a sweat shirt. 5 minutes into the run, the jumper came off and was tied around my waist. People looked on at me with puzzled expressions, burying themselves in to warm, thick, padded jackets as I whizzed past them.
Years later when I re-entered the world of running, with my new-found wimpishness, I knew I would need to wrap up warm. However, being a Yorkshireman of course, I wouldn't be seen dead in tights, even though jogging bottoms feel so cumbersome.
But also.....being a Yorkshireman (the myth is that we're tight with money).....when a certain discount sporting goods shop happening to have some very nice full-length, thick, moisture-wicking tights in at a steal of a price.....well.....

Actually, wearing lycra (I believe lycra is "spandex" in America) came about before I decided to run in ridiculous degrees during the winter. A summer earlier, I really can't remember what possessed me to buy a pair of tight-fitting lycra shorts that ended above my knee. I guess they were probably on cheap......

Even after I had bought the lycra, I couldn't bring myself to run around Leeds in my bulge-shorts displaying my packed lunch for all to see, so I would always wear a pair of modesty shorts over the top. Although I did have to admit, the lycra was seriously comfy...

After a while I began to consider that perhaps, wearing the bulge-shorts for total comfort was slightly negated by the flappy shorts over the top. Maybe, just maybe, I should consider dumping the modesty shorts?! But surely, men should NEVER be seen in lycra?!?! Running forums often have the "should men wear lycra?" debate. Sod it, I would try it out at the local club's 10k in Horsforth. Surely amongst 600 club-runners there would be plenty of men wearing lycra?

Er yeah, I think there was 2. Bugger. The modesty shorts stayed on.

I continued to debate back and forth and eventully, at a 10k in Sheffield, I threw caution, and my baggy shorts, to the wind! It felt freeing! glorious! spiritual! Wonderous! Amazing!

Well, ok, it felt comfy. Here I am, the following year in Sheffield again (Same shorts):




I'm not sure when I decided I shouldn't go commando under them though, but still, I learned that lesson at some point.

Now that winter keeps coming back to say hello I am glad of thick, heavy winter tights. I don't care if I look like several badly-packed horse-meat sausages from a dodgy supermarket, they're comfy and they're as warm as I can get without running with my duvet around me (Tempting, tempting!)

These days I have completely stopped worrying about how I look when I run and really can't believe I ever worried about it. The key is to always totally look like you know what you're doing, even when you haven't a clue, that way no one questions your sartorial running choices.
So yeah, I am a convert to wearing lyrca and time will tell if I recognise the exact age when I really, really need to STOP wearing it. But for now, comfort reigns. And at least I haven't given in to wearing hi-viz yet!









7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  3. Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you. running track resurfacing, athletics track flooring

    ReplyDelete
  4. The UK's Health and Exercise Advisory load up (HEA) suggests performing oxygen consuming activity 3 times each week for a length of at the very least 20 minutes to make enhancements in vigorous wellness. It's recommended, where conceivable, that these exercises are performed on non-consecutive days for example Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Running repeats

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter, what did you end up doing on the starbord side hull steps to facilitate dingy boarding ? Thanks.
    Whit running clothing

    ReplyDelete