Strava

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Race review: Stirton fell race 10th of July 2013

Google earth really fails to capture the elevation of this route. That's 2D pictures for you.
On a hot day in July I entered my 2nd ever fell race at Stirton, near Skipton organised by Keighley and Craven AC. Like a lot of fell races, it basically involved this:
"Ey lad, see ' big hill over theer?"
"Aye"
"Run up it"
"Reet"
"Back down it"
"Aye"
"Round the back"
"Ok"
"Back up it again"
"Yup"
"Then back here"
"Reet, Ah'll see thee later, get me one in"

Once again I wasn't fully fit, the ribs aren't getting worse, but they aren't getting fully better either and on Wednesday mornings I finish a 9 hour night shift at 7am, so I wasn't full of high-hopes, I was just going to enjoy myself.

After much to-do involving meeting in a car park, facebook messages from Fellandalers pulling out and a lovely drive through Yorkshire, Carl and I arrived in Stirton, a tiny village that was now taken over with fell runner's cars. I queued up for my number and paid £3. I chatted briefly to another runner who wished me well and asked how I did after the race, a lovely, friendly touch.

A while later, with absolutely no to-do, we set off up a country lane towards the hill that would be our torturer. It's name is Sharp Haw (no childish giggling now) The starter didn't give us any spiel at all, there was no starting line and no air horn. Off we went.

The first part on the road isn't very steep so I maintained a decent pace as we trotted along. As always, I decided I needed to get in some decent speed while I could. The route turned off the road and Sharp Haw loomed in to view, looking menacing. I knew next to nothing about the route of the race, which was perhaps for the best. I over heard someone say the second ascent would be hard. A least I now knew there was going to be a second ascent.


I managed to keep running until I was about half way up the first time, but then slowed to a walk. I was the first person around me to start walking, and this time, it wasn't as fast as the people around me who were still running. I tried to maintain as quick a walk pace as I could, but I was already dying and sweat was dripping off me like a faulty shower.

Mercifully the top of Sharp Haw arrived and I threw myself in to the descent. The runners in front of me had opened up a substantial gap of a few hundred metres, but I slowly reeled them in and by the time we started the second ascent, I had over taken a few of them. They returned the compliment soon after when I had to walk up hill again. Each time there was a flat or down hill section I would catch the runners in front with relative ease, but they would then pull away on the up hill as I just couldn't keep running. 

By the time the top of Sharp Haw arrived again I was desperate for some down hill and off I plunged, once again catching the runners in front. We didn't have to return right to the start point in the village so the finish arrived quickly, in a field, next to the van they had used as the race office.

My prizes for finishing have to be the favourite race rewards I have ever received and here they are with the once-white socks I wore on the day:



One of the most fun parts of the day was chatting to Simon afterwards, who, unbeknownst to me, had been hot on my heels the whole way around. He had nearly caught me on each ascent, but had watched me pull away on the descents. He had witnessed my not-quite-long-enough leap over a bog that soaked my right foot and blackened my socks as I staggered and spluttered my way around.  It's an odd and pleasing feeling to know a good runner like Simon sees me as a target and to know I am spurring him on to faster running.
We also chatted to Carl and Christine, other members of Fellandale about their races and the upcoming Leeds 10k after cheering them through the finish.

I had gone out a little slower in this race than at the Otley fell race in an attempt to keep running up the hills, but it hadn't even nearly worked. I like to think I am a brave descender and able to move quickly when going downhill but I really need to keep working on the ascents. If I can get to the point where I am running up hill for the majority of the time, my overall pace is going to improve dramatically.
I finished 46th out of 98 in a time of 47:37 Simon finishing a minute and 22 behind me. The winner clocked 37:04. At least I was in the top half, and they kindly knocked 3 years off my age too. I must look young. Yes, that's it. I look young.


Here's the run on Garmin connect. As is my recent tradition, I forgot to turn my GPS off at the end so ignore the time.

All in all a really enjoyable and friendly no-frills fell race, just the type I hope to be doing for many years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment